SHOWINGS AND OPEN HOUSES
Click for pdf to save or print
During Showings and Open Houses
Try to find somewhere else to be during the showings and an open house. People are more comfortable looking around and checking closets and cupboards when the owner is not present. They will stay longer if they are interested and become more connected with your home, rather than leaving quickly due to feeling awkward and that they are inconveniencing you.
Take your pets with you when you leave for the open house as they may intimidate or bother prospective purchasers. If not overly inconvenient, it is best to also have your pets outside or away from the home when it is being shown by appointment.
An open house may or may not be recommended for your home. This will depend on the particular marketing strategy devised, the amount of privacy you desire, the ability to conduct one without risk to contents, etc.
An open house for the public is held usually on a weekend afternoon, when buyers make a point of walking or driving around neighborhoods they are interested in.
It is wise to put all personal property like jewelry, money and medication out of sight and in a safe, secure place. Think about moving fragile items to less exposed areas to minimize the chance of breakage.
Before Each Showing or Open House....
- On garbage and recycling days put away bins after pickup.
- Try to keep the driveway free of tricycles, bicycles and children's toys.
- It's the first and last impression that your buyers will have of your home, make it a good one! Check to ensure it is clean and clear of clutter.
Pick Up Every Room
- Check counters, floors, halls and stairs. Straighten up or remove newspapers, magazines, mail, toys, clothing, recreation gear, snack glasses and dishes. Neatness makes a room look bigger. Avoid clutter.
Turn On All Lights
- Including lights in closets and storage rooms. Electric lights have an amazing capability for creating an illusion of lightness, airiness and largeness. At night, turn on porch lights and outdoor lighting in back if you have it.
Open All Drapes, Shades and Blinds
- Do all that you can to create a bright and welcoming ambiance.
- Be sure all counter tops are "squeaky clean." Wipe down appliances. Be sure all dishes are in the dishwasher or put away. The sink should be clear and clean.
- Leave a luscious smell in the kitchen (i.e. vanilla, cinnamon, apple tea, etc.).
- Make sure beds are made up neatly and attractively.
- Clear counters and make sure sinks are clean. Put out a fresh set of towels.
- Keep air fresheners in closets, bathrooms and kitchen. Be especially careful to keep any pet areas clean and odor free.
Ideas to Make the Showing an Enjoyable Experience.
- Turn on soft background music.
- A warming fire will add ambiance.
- Have the air conditioning running if the weather is warm.